[Python-Dev] PEP 384 status

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Mon Aug 30 16:47:05 CEST 2010

  On 30/08/2010 17:35, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Aug 30, 2010, at 10:18 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
>
>> Since the Linkage section of PEP 384 specifically states the
>> availability of a generic "python3.dll" that dynamically redirects to
>> the relevant "python3y.dll" to allow an extension module to run
>> against any 3.2 or later Python version as a goal of the PEP, I would
>> say that allowing mixing of C runtimes is definitely one of the PEP's
>> goals.
> It should be explicit about that then, and provide detail about why the
> runtime is relevant to Windows programmers (and probably not relevant in
> practice for *nix programmers).

An extension compiled for one version of Python will be linked against
the version of the C runtime used by that version of Python (if it is
compiled with the same version of Visual Studio of course).

If the extension binary is to remain compatible with a later version of
Python, compiled against a different version of the C runtime, then it
*must* be possible for multiple C runtimes to be loaded. If the stable
ABI doesn't allow this then binaries will *still* have to be recompiled
when we update the version of Visual Studio used to compile Python -
defeating the purpose of the PEP. Right?

If this is the case then I agree that it should be explicit in the PEP.

All the best,

Michael

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/