[Python-Dev] PEP 384 status

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Aug 28 20:52:54 CEST 2010

> This is from tp_new and tp_dealloc, right? I think we should probably
> provide assessors PyObject_Alloc and PyObject_FreeObject.

Correct, and yes, that sounds like a good approach.

>> - PyObject_Print is used, but can't be supported, as it uses a FILE*
>>  parameter
>
> I thought tp_print was supposed to have been removed.

Yes - that should have happened for 3.0. Not sure how to deal with it now.

> Anyway, if
> sqlite is already using FILE *, then won't it be afflicted by the
> Microsoft runtime version changes anyway? Maybe provide an extra flag
> to enable FILE* APIs for those extensions that want to risk it?

For the sqlite extension, that wouldn't be a problem: if they build
with a different MSVC release, it will automatically link with a
different CRT, which then will have a consistent set of FILE objects.

The issue only arises if you pass FILE* across DLLs which in turn
are linked with different CRTs.

Regards,
Martin