[Python-Dev] time critical: issue 7902 and 2.6.6rc2

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Aug 16 17:54:48 CEST 2010

For 2.6.6rc1 a patch was committed that addressed bug 7902:

http://bugs.python.org/issue7902

http://svn.python.org/view?rev=81381&view=rev

While this fixes a legitimate bug in Python 2.6, it also changes existing
behavior in the 2.6 series.  As 2.6.6 is the last planned maintenance release,
I do not think we've had enough testing of this change and am not sure it
should stay in.

Note that we've already seen one fallout from this.  Issue 9600 was fixed post
rc1.  While its use of the syntax was incorrect, and the fix was easy and
legitimate, I wonder how many other cases in unknown third party code there
might be.  Antoine in IRC suggests it will be rare, and that the
multiprocessing case was probably due to an incomplete code reorganization.  I
agree, but still.

http://bugs.python.org/issue9600

Either way, I think we need a 2.6.6rc2 (a thought that's been invading my
dreams all weekend :).  This would push back 2.6.6 final to September 12 or
13.

I'd like your opinion on whether the fix for 7902 should stay in 2.6.6 or
not.  Please respond asap, since *if* we revert this, I want that to go into
2.6.6rc2, and I'd like to tag that release in about 6 hours or so.

Thanks,
-Barry