[Python-Dev] Fixing #7175: a standard location for Python config files

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Fri Aug 13 23:15:21 CEST 2010

On 13/08/2010 10:02 PM, Michael Foord wrote:
> On 13/08/2010 06:39, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>> Michael Foord writes:
>>
>>    >   How is ~/python not memorable or consistent? (And cross-platform
>>    >   memorability and consistency is valuable too.)
>>
>> But what does "~" mean on Windows?
> There is a "user directory" in Windows directly analagous to ~, and this
> is the path returned by os.path.expanduser('~') in Python:

Well, see my post early on in the thread about the
various senses of "user directory" under Windows.
The addition of expanduser to include Windows caused
a long debate at the time.  (ISTR)

I'm not really all that bothered for this purpose.
There's something to be said for all the suggestions
so far. However, as I've said elsewhere, I'm more
concerned that whatever we end up choosing for
location(s) be clearly documented as such.

TJG