[Python-Dev] Fixing #7175: a standard location for Python config files

Fred Drake fdrake at acm.org
Fri Aug 13 20:16:03 CEST 2010

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 11:57 AM, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
> I've missed most of this discussion while on vacation, but if ~/.local is
> supposed to mirror /usr/local, then wouldn't a logical place for per-user
> configuration files be ~/.local/etc/whatever.cfg?

Maybe it is; I'd hope so.

The fd.o spec that describes ~/.local/share/ doesn't say anything
*else* about ~/.local/, though.  So our expansion of ~/.local/ is very
much our own.

My own ~/.local/ contains a bunch of gnomish desktop stuff in share/
and Python stuff in lib/, and that's it.

I'd be as happy as I'm going to be with configs in ~~/.local/etc/.
(Still going to be a grouchy old fart.)

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.    <fdrake at gmail.com>
"A storm broke loose in my mind."  --Albert Einstein