[Python-Dev] Proposed tweaks to functools.wraps

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Aug 11 23:37:24 CEST 2010

On 8/11/2010 3:16 PM, Raymond Hettinger wrote:

> The ability to introspect is basic to Python's design.
> Objects know their class, functions know their code objects,
> bound methods know both their underlying function,
> classes know their own class dictionary, etc.

Should iterators know their iterable when there is one?

There is or was a request for this on python-list, I believe, a few days
ago. I suggested bad idea because
a) iterator requirement is intentially minimal
b) not all iterators have underlying object
c) OP wanted to mutate underlying object (list) while iterating
I did give a my_iter class that would do what OP wanted.

--
Terry Jan Reedy