[Python-Dev] mingw support?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Aug 8 18:29:03 CEST 2010

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 1:55 AM, Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven
<asmodai at in-nomine.org> wrote:
> -On [20100808 02:23], Nick Coghlan (ncoghlan at gmail.com) wrote:
>>This used to be more of an issue because MS didn't provide a decent
>>free compiler for their platform. These days (since the release of
>>Visual Studio Express), we expect that people willing to use (or
>>support) a closed OS can cope with also using the free-as-in-beer
>>closed compiler provided by the vendor of that OS.
>
> You don't even need VS Express.
>
> Install Windows SDK 7.1 and the compilers are supplied with it. Less clutter
> if you prefer the command line.

MS may have improved the tools they release with the SDK to the point
where they can build a VS solution file (I haven't tried that in
years). Historically (i.e. before the first express version of Visual
Studio), there were a lot of hoops to jump through to get something
that could handle the complete build chain. It was painful enough back
when I first started hacking on the Python core that I gave up and
just switched to developing on Linux instead.

Cheers,
Nick.