[Python-Dev] Looking after the buildbots (in general)

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Aug 5 07:45:31 CEST 2010

>> If you mean to imply that a release manager should care for the stability
>> of "their" branch also in between of releases -- I'd love to do that,
>> but I'd need a 36-hour day then.
>>
> I'll see if I can get God to extend it for you. I honestly do understand
> that everyone else works under the same restrictions of time that I do
> ... and I appreciate all the hard work the release managers continue to
> put in.

And indeed, from an RM point of view, fixing the bugs that cause
buildbot breakage isn't the right action for the RM.

Instead, if the release procedures say that the buildbots must pass the
test, and the tests don't actually pass, the natural consequence is not
to release. Barry has often exercised that approach in the past, and in
many cases, it actually helped in getting people motivated to fix bugs
when he threatened not to release.

Regards,
Martin