[Python-Dev] PEP 376 proposed changes for basic plugins support

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Tue Aug 3 10:00:44 CEST 2010

Éric Araujo wrote:
>> What you might want to do is add new type fields to PEP 345,
>> making it easier to identify and list packages that work as
>> plugins for applications, e.g.
>>
>> Type: Plugin for MyCoolApp
>>
>> The MyCoolApp could then use the Type-field to identify all
>> installed plugins, get their installation directories, etc.
>> and work on from there.
>
> Classifiers seem a good way to do that. They’re already defined in
> accepted PEPs, extensible on demand, used by Web frameworks
> components/applications/middlewares/things and other projects, and
> queriable in PyPI.
>
> We could use “Environment :: Plugins” and “Framework :: Something” or
> define a new classifier (not all applications are frameworks, and
> “plugins” seems a very strange value for “environment”).

This would work to mark plugins as such, but we'd still would
have to have a field to name the app they belong to and
I don't think that the process of adding new classifiers is
flexible enough to handle those names.

A Type field would be under application control and allow easy
discovery of installed plugins for a specific app.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Aug 03 2010)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/