[Python-Dev] Enhanced tracker privileges for dange rjim to do triage.

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed Apr 28 10:16:48 CEST 2010

Steven D'Aprano writes:

 > As I see it, the two camps are divided purely on the question of how to
 > get increased privileges.

As I see it, the division is over what constitutes merit, and how it
is created or improved.

 > Both sides agree that merit is a requirement, but the disagreement
 > is on how to prove you have such merit.

I disagree vehemently with that characterization of my position (and
I strongly suspect David would, too).  The primary argument of the
"quality" camp as I see it is that the familiarization period
*creates* value, both in terms of training ("merit" for the job) and
interpersonal relationships ("building community").  Thus it is a *net
benefit*, not a *net cost*.  AFAICS, the "quantity" camp sees it as a
nearly pure loss, simply slowing down inflow of preexisting "merit"
(and perhaps discouraging it entirely).

 > > *By definition*, a community is not diverse in the most fundamental
 > > sense.
 >
 > I think you're using a definition of community that doesn't appear in
 > any dictionary I'm aware of, nor do I understand what you mean by "most
 > fundamental sense" of diverse. Talking about diversity within a single
 > community is not an oxymoron.

Where did I write "oxymoron"?  The grammar was a bit awkward, but my
point is simple: the root of the word "community" is *common*.
Therefore it makes sense to bring in newcomers via a process which
accustoms them to the commonality, of whatever degree, the community
is based on.