[Python-Dev] Enhanced tracker privileges for dangerjim to do triage.

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Apr 26 20:15:01 CEST 2010

Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> Steven D'Aprano <steve <at> pearwood.info> writes:
>> Who are we worried about offending? The crowds on the Internet who never
>> volunteer for anything, who never submit patches, let alone offer to do
>> the unglamourous work?
>
> Perhaps you should look more carefully. We do have contributors who submit
> patches and advice on the tracker. There isn't just the committers and the
> passive masses.

Yes, in the last year in particular there has been some excellent effort
of maintaining the issue tracker content. But the question still remains
- who are we worried about offending?

> (oh, and following your logic, we should ignore your advice, unless you actually
> contribute to the "unglamourous work" - do you?)
>
>> In a meritocracy it isn't enough to be
>> good at what you do, you also have to be known to be good.
>
> If this were the criterion then the answer would be simple: nobody seems to
> knows dangerjim in the Python community.

Except, of course, the person recommending him. And it seems from the
discussion that nobody is particularly bothered about finding out about
him, preferring to exercise their various prejudices in preference to
taking a PSF member's word that he's a potentially valuable contributor
along with an offer of supervision.

I didn't realize we had so much effort available that we can ignore such
offers.

> (to make it clear: this is not a shot intended at him, rather at your own logic)

To make it clear: this is not intended as a criticism of you personally,
rather of those who do not seem to feel that increasing the developer
community is important. Perhaps diversity is just something you write in
a statement.

Some of the comments in this thread have seemed positively unwelcoming,
even though I doubt that was the authors' intention.

regards
 Steve
See PyCon Talks from Atlanta 2010  http://pycon.blip.tv/