[Python-Dev] Enhanced tracker privileges for dangerjim to do triage.

Jesse Noller jnoller at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 16:17:18 CEST 2010

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 7:05 AM, Michael Foord
<fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk> wrote:
> On 26/04/2010 11:58, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>>
>> [snip...]
>>
>> I'm not claiming that the current balance is right.
>
> Hmm... the core development team (those who make commits once a month or
> more frequently) is very small, the number of people doing bug triaging is
> currently good but also small. We have patches and issues in the tracker
> that may have responses but will never get properly looked at because no-one
> on the core team is interested or has the mental bandwidth, we have possibly
> hundreds of modules in the standard library without a maintainer.
>
> I think it is very much in the interest of Python to evolve our processes in
> order to encourage more core-developers. Evolving means experimenting *and*
> being willing to change. It is certainly less *effort* to accept the status
> quo, but with several more committed and enthusiastic (and good) core
> developers there is an awful lot (more) we could achieve.

[snip]

Just to add fuel to the fire w.r.t this discussion about
process-improvements, lowering friction, etc. I'd like to point out
(unintentionally tooting my own horn) a discussion I started up on
this exact topic last week:

http://jessenoller.com/2010/04/22/why-arent-you-contributing-to-python/
http://www.reddit.com/r/Python/comments/burio/why_arent_you_contributing_to_python/
http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=1285897

I'm going to avoid summarizing the comments - ignoring my original
post, I can honestly say I received an alarming amount of feedback
some of which was private, but most of which is sitting there for us
to possible consume and act on.

jesse