[Python-Dev] Fwd: Broken link to download (Mac OS X)

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Sat Apr 24 22:43:22 CEST 2010

On 24/04/2010 21:34, David Bolen wrote:
> Michael Foord<fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk>  writes:
>

>> 10.6.3 and yes I have Tcl and Tk in /Library/Frameworks. How do I
>> determine which versions they are?
>>
> You can use "info patchlevel" in tclsh - assuming you're running a
> tclsh linked to your /Library version (a normal Tcl install puts this
> in /usr/local/bin I think).

$ tclsh
% info patchlevel
8.5.7

> Or, tcl.h (in the Headers folder beneath the framework install) has
> TCL_VERSION and TCL_PATCH_LEVEL defines near the top of the file.
>
> Given that your error is a failure to build and not a skip, it sounds
> like setup is finding Tcl/Tk.  From a quick glance, it looks like
> tkinter may also require the X11 headers (you'd have to have installed
> X11 separately) - do you have output in your log from what exactly
> is failing when that module attempts to build?

Hmmm... looks like a 32 / 64 bit issue, which I believe may be the
expected result when trying to build on Snow Leopard (?).

i686-apple-darwin10-gcc-4.2.1: -framework: linker input file unused
because linking not done
i686-apple-darwin10-gcc-4.2.1: Tk: linker input file unused because
linking not done
ld: warning: in /Library/Frameworks//Tcl.framework/Tcl, missing required
architecture x86_64 in file
ld: warning: in /Library/Frameworks//Tk.framework/Tk, missing required
architecture x86_64 in file
*** WARNING: renaming "_tkinter" since importing it failed:
dlopen(build/lib.macosx-10.4-x86_64-2.7-pydebug/_tkinter.so, 2): Symbol
not found: _TclFreeObj
Referenced from:
/compile/python-trunk/build/lib.macosx-10.4-x86_64-2.7-pydebug/_tkinter.so
Expected in: dynamic lookup

I think my Tk/Tcl install came from an Activestate installer.

Michael