[Python-Dev] PEP 328, relative imports and Python 2.7

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Wed Apr 21 19:47:56 CEST 2010

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 06:58, Mark Dickinson <dickinsm at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 2:56 PM, Mark Dickinson <dickinsm at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 2:40 PM, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
> >> While talking about Python 2.6 -> 2.7 transitions, the subject of
> relative and
> >> absolute imports has come up.  PEP 328 states that absolute imports will
> be
> >> enabled by default in Python 2.7, however I cannot verify that this has
> >> actually happened.
> >
> > I'm fairly sure it hasn't.  I brought this up on python-dev in
> > February (around Feb 2nd;  thread entitled 'Absolute imports in Python
> > 2.x'), but for some reason I can only find the tail end of that thread
> > on mail.python.org:
> >
> > http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2010-February/097458.html
>
> Ah, here's a better link to a different archive of the previous discussion.
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/python-dev@python.org/msg45275.html

And it looks like it mostly got hijacked by a discussion of how to keep
track of long-term issues. =)

As for changing the semantics of this, I would love to see it happen, but as
Barry said, into a beta probably means no. So we should at least add a Py3K
warning (if there isn't one already) as implicit relative imports cannot be
guaranteed correct by 2to3 in the face of ambiguity. Plus the silencing of
DeprecationWarnings by default means it won't trigger more noise for users.