[Python-Dev] Request for commit access

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Apr 16 06:36:55 CEST 2010

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>> That's an ideal case, but it doesn't work, because more or less senior
>> committers are already too busy. If they do not even have time to
>> review issues, followup on patches  - how can they monitor who reached
>> the appropriate karma level?
>
> The practice proves to be different. In the recent additions, the new
> developer had been approached by some committer, suggesting that they
> apply. So the initiative actually started from a committer who thought
> that the karma level was appropriate. All I'm asking for is that then
> this committer takes the issues in his own hands, rather than letting
> the new developer ask for himself.

That sounds like it should be the preferred procedure, but it may be
that Brian was advised to ask by an existing committer who didn't feel
they had the "authority" to recommend him.

In such an event (or if committers are too busy to action a promising
candidate) I don't see anything wrong with a candidate asking directly
(as long as they are prepared to put up with a semi-public discussion of
their application's merits).

regards
 Steve
See PyCon Talks from Atlanta 2010  http://pycon.blip.tv/