[Python-Dev] Automatic installer builds (was Re: Fwd: Broken link to download (Mac OS X))

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Apr 15 22:48:49 CEST 2010

> In the first builds, I have noticed that the build master seems to
> execute the builds as a Unix system, so isn't building with the
> universalsdk option or as a framework, though the latter would
> probably need a bit of glue to make the framework available just
> locally to the buildbot process.

Not sure what you mean by "make available" - I thought this is just a
matter of configure options?

Would you like to see such a build on your machine in addition, or
instead of, the Unix build?

> On Windows, the buildbot tasks use scripts that keep the third party
> stuff in the buildbot branch tree itself.  I wonder if perhaps with a
> little TLC, we could come up with some Mac-specific buildbot scripts
> to better have an OSX build slave mimic the final build process.

No. I'd rather create a separate builder on the master.

> I anticipate some tuning to do with respect to external libraries.
> Rather than use system libraries or my own (or finks or MacPorts)
> version of libraries, I suspect it would be better to download the
> same releases of the third party stuff that the installer script
> downloads and install them locally for normal buildbot builds, to best
> match what would be packaged up with a final binary.  Of course, if
> so, then there's the question of keeping the buildbot environment up
> to date with the installer script.

It would be possible to commit these packages into the externals
repository, just as we do for Windows. It would then be possible to
check them out over again all the time, or somehow to detect when the
URL changes so they export a different subversion directory.

> To the extent that the output (DMG) of the build-installer script is
> what is currently needed for OSX, I can generate one if it is still
> needed, though I can't promise much beyond just executing the script.
> The new build slave can also be made available for RMs (or whomever)
> to generate the DMG when needed if that might be helpful.  Though
> there should probably be some basic installation test on other systems
> prior to publishing any such generated files.

For 2.7, I would do that only if the very same build process is also
going to be used for the final release. There is no point in testing
builds when then the final release uses some other process. It would
also be good if anybody who commits to producing OSX binaries now would
also produce them throughout the 2.7 lifetime (which could be a bit
longer than the traditional 18 months).

Regards,
Martin