[Python-Dev] Fwd: Broken link to download (Mac OS X)

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Wed Apr 14 21:30:13 CEST 2010

On 14/04/2010 20:21, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
>> Mac users definitely *do* expect installers. Building Python requires, I
>> believe, the XCode development tools to be installed. Even then,
>> building a full version of Python - with *all* the C extensions that are
>> part of a Python release - is not a trivial task.
>>
> The same is true for any other operating system, though: you need to
> install the compiler tool chain (sometimes, you need to buy it first),
> and compiling Python with all extensions is not a trivial task.

Right - but we were discussing this in the context of barrier to entry,
particularly to new users. We don't impose this requirement for Windows
users though - we provide binary installers.

I *know* we're a volunteer organisation (etc), but it is good for us to
be aware of our process weaknesses without excusing ourselves.

Unfortunately the Mac installer build script doesn't seem to run at all
on Mac OS X 10.6 (at least not on my machine),  but hopefully the
situation is clarified so that one of us who does still have Mac OS X
10.5 will be able to build the installer in a timely manner for the next
release should Ronald be too busy.

All the best,

Michael

--