[Python-Dev] Fwd: Broken link to download (Mac OS X)

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Wed Apr 14 18:18:01 CEST 2010

On 14/04/2010 18:01, skip at pobox.com wrote:
>      Michael>  Mac users definitely *do* expect installers. Building Python
>      Michael>  requires, I believe, the XCode development tools to be
>      Michael>  installed.
>
> XCode is free, and I suspect many people have it (I do).

Sure - but probably not your average Python-on-Mac user. Or at least a
good proportion of them, particularly newbies who we are keen to keep
the experience of obtaining Python simple. First download and then
install 1gigabyte of developer tools (seriously) requiring registration,
then compile Python from source yourself, is not the way to go. (And yes
the XCode tools are included in the OS disks - but not the latest
versions, especially if you are still running Leopard.)

>      Michael>  Even then, building a full version of Python - with *all* the C
>      Michael>  extensions that are part of a Python release - is not a trivial
>      Michael>  task.
>
> Isn't that just a matter of having the recipe written down somewhere?

Yes, that would be nice. :-) Preferably a recipe that doesn't involve
Macports or Fink which some of us are allergic to.

Michael

--
http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/