[Python-Dev] Fwd: Broken link to download (Mac OS X)

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Wed Apr 14 11:11:22 CEST 2010

On 14/04/2010 07:17, Steve Holden wrote:
> [snip...]
>> In a wider sense of "to support", MacOS is certainly supported by
>> Python. There is everything in the source code that you need to make
>> Python run on a Mac. Just download the sources and compile them yourself.
>>

> And yet we don't regard the Windows release as complete until you have
> built the binaries (for which service you deserve many thanks, by the way).
>
> Is the Mac platform one on which users will be happy to compile from
> source? I know its users are savvier than Windows users, and have a
> better tool set available to them, but they still seem to expect
> downloadable installers.

Mac users definitely *do* expect installers. Building Python requires, I
believe, the XCode development tools to be installed. Even then,
building a full version of Python - with *all* the C extensions that are
part of a Python release - is not a trivial task.

All the best,

Michael Foord

--
http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/