[Python-Dev] PEP 3147, __cached__, and PyImport_ExecCodeModuleEx()

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sat Apr 10 17:58:41 CEST 2010

On Apr 09, 2010, at 05:41 PM, Guido van Rossum wrote:

>On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 3:54 PM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Would it be better to name this one _PyImport_ExecCodeModuleExEx (with
>> an underscore) so that we *don't* need to create an ExExEx version in
>> future? (Sorry, Barry :-))
>
>I don't care about what name you pick, and my ExEx proposal was meant
>to include half a wink, but http://docs.python.org/c-api/import.html
>makes it clear that PyImport_ExecCodeModuleEx() is far from private!
>(I don't know where Barry got that idea.)

Note that it's the non-Ex version that's documented here.  AFAICT,
PyImport_ExecCodeModuleEx() is not documented.  I'm happy to fix that in my
branch as well.

>While Google Code Search
>finds mostly references to PyImport_ExecCodeModuleEx in the Python
>source code and various copies of it, it also shows some real uses,
>e.g.
>http://www.google.com/codesearch/p?hl=en#bkFK9YpaWlI/ubuntu/pool/universe/y/yehia/yehia_0.5.4.orig.tar.gz|PZ0_Xf7QzC0/yehia-0.5.4.orig/plugins/python/python-loader.cc&q=PyImport_ExecCodeModuleEx

Sure, let's not break existing API even if it's undocumented.  The one nice
thing about ExEx() is that it's clearly related to the two previous API
functions its based on.  But if you don't like it then how about something
like PyImport_ExecCodeModuleWithPathnames()?

-Barry