[Python-Dev] PEP 389: argparse - new command line parsing module

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Sep 30 20:22:53 CEST 2009

On Sep 30, 2009, at 12:58 PM, Robert Kern wrote:

> I don't think argparse supports the "foo --help subcommand" OOB. I
> think it would be simple to modify argparse to make it do so. It
> does support general options followed by a subcommand with options,
> though.

Right.  I've made it kind of work in Mailman 3, but it would be nice
for argparse to support this out of the box.  Note that I think you
want two forms:

foo help subcommand
foo subcommand --help

to basically print the same help text.  This is the way bzr does it
for example and it works great.

Other than that, I think argparse supports Guido's use case very nicely.

-Barry