[Python-Dev] sharing stdlib across python implementations

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Wed Sep 30 16:28:58 CEST 2009

Frank Wierzbicki wrote:
> Talk has started up again on the stdlib-sig list about finding a core
> stdlib + tests that can be shared by all implementations, potentially
> living apart from CPython.  I have volunteered to put together a PEP
> on the subject, with Jessie Noller and Brett Canon are helping me out.
>  When I have something worth showing, I'll start the real PEP process.

I'm on on stdlib-sig and I'm afraid I don't have the bandwidth to start
on it, but I'd just like to throw in (yet again) that it would be great
if the stdlib was actually a set of separate python packages with their
own version metadata so that packaging tools could manage them, and
upgrade them independently of python packages when there are bug fixes.
If that were the case, then pure python packages in the stdlib, of which
there are many, *really* could be used across python implementations
with no changes whatsoever...

The big changes I can see from here would be moving the tests to the
packages from the central tests directory, and adding a setup.py file or
some other form of metadata providion for each package. Not that big now
that I've written it ;-)

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk