[Python-Dev] PEP 3144 review.

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Sep 29 19:00:39 CEST 2009

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 9:03 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

>> I've mentioned at least once (and others have mentioned as well) that
>> it's very common, when describing the ip address/prefix of a NIC to
>> write, "192.168.1.100/24"
>
> You say it yourself : it describes "the ip address/prefix of a NIC".
> It isn't the job of a Network class. A Network shouldn't describe a
> host, or a particular NIC.

Hey Antoine,

Can we drop the pedantic discussion about what "should" or "shouldn't"
be the job of a "Network" class, and just proceed to a pragmatic
compromise? Peter has already posted that he is okay with __eq__ and
friends ignoring the .ip attribute, which sounds good enough to me.
His use case (which he mentioned to me off-list) is simply that if the
denormalized .ip attribute weren't saved as part of the IPNetwork
class, in many cases he'd have to keep track of it separately, which
just feels clumsy.