[Python-Dev] Python 2.7 Mac universal builds seem broken on trunk

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Tue Sep 29 18:22:25 CEST 2009

On 29 Sep, 2009, at 18:17, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

>>> The Python default on 10.6 is 64-bit, so wouldn't it be better
>>> to default to that on 10.6 and use 32-bit as default on 10.3/4/5 ?!
>>
>> Defaulting to a 32-bit build has several advantages. The first is
>> that
>> the defaults match the binary installer on the python.org website,
>
> What build options does that installer use ? (the web-page doesn't
> say)

The installer is build using the script in Mac/BuildScript, and uses --
enable-framework --with-universalsk.

This creates a 32-bit fat build that runs on 10.3.9 or later.

>> and
>> secondly there are still 3th-party libraries that don't work in 64-
>> bit
>> mode (mostly GUI libraries, until recently Tk and wxWidgets wrapped
>> the
>> Carbon libraries which are not available in 64-bit mode; AFAIK both
>> have
>> betas that wrap the Cocoa libraries instead).
>>
>> To mimick the system default you'd have to default to 32-bit on 10.4,
>> 4-way universal on 10.5 and 3-way universal on 10.6, and that is
>> without
>> considering deployment targets.  All of those are available as
>> options,
>> I'd prefer to keep it this way for now to keep things simple.
>
> Hmm, so I guess the only way to support them all is by building
> extensions
> using 4-way universal on 10.5. No wonder they are called "fat"
> binaries ;-)

I like the technology though, much more convenient than having
parallel directory tries as on Linux.

>>> Please put that information into Mac/README which already has
>>> documentation for how to build universal binaries on Mac.
>>
>> I know that, I wrote most of that file ;-).
>
> Which is why I was surprised you asked :-)

I hoped to find a document on docs.python.org that explains how to
install Python, but sadly enough there isn't. Mac/README contains the
right information, but isn't easily found if you're searching on the
web or even if you're looking for documentation in the source tree.

Ronald