[Python-Dev] Python 2.7 Mac universal builds seem broken on trunk

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Tue Sep 29 17:28:59 CEST 2009

Ronald Oussoren wrote:

> On 26 Sep, 2009, at 14:46, Barry Scott wrote:
>
>> I'm working with http://svn.python.org/projects/python/trunk on Mac OS
>> X 10.6.1
>> using Apples xcode gcc 4.2.1.
>>
>> When I run the following commands:
>>
>>     ./configure --enable-framework --with-universal-archs=32-bit | tee
>> build.config.log
>>     make clean all | tee build.make.log
>>
>> I end up with a x86_64 Python image.
>>
>> No matter what I use for archs its always the same.
>>
>> I would expect to see -arch arg to GCC but it is not there.
>>
>>     export CFLAG="-arch i386"
>>
>> did not work either.
>>
>> Am I doing something wrong or is this broken on trunk?
>
> Use:
>
>     ./configure --enable-framework --enable-universalsdk=/
>
> The --with-universal-archs flag selects whichs architectures should be
> included when you build a universal binary, defaulting to 32-bit.

The Python default on 10.6 is 64-bit, so wouldn't it be better
to default to that on 10.6 and use 32-bit as default on 10.3/4/5 ?!

> I'll write some documentation on the build options on OSX,  but don't
> know what's the best location to do so.

Please put that information into Mac/README which already has
documentation for how to build universal binaries on Mac.

> I guess I should also add logic to configure that bails out when you
> specifiy --with-universal-archs without asking for a universal build.

That would be useful.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Sep 29 2009)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/