[Python-Dev] PEP 389: argparse - optparse compatibility

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Mon Sep 28 22:39:43 CEST 2009

Steven Bethard <steven.bethard <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I could conceivably add an OptionParser class which::
> [...]

Actually, I think that would be a waste of time. It would be less time-consuming
to keep optparse.py than write a whole new compatibility bridge that you'll have
to debug and maintain anyway, with the added problem of making people annoyed by
whatever difference in behaviour happens to bite them. (*)

So I think the two only reasonable options are:

1. either keep optparse durably
2. or deprecate it

Given your precision about the proposed deprecation period (with the module
vanishing in 3.5), I guess I'm only -0.5 on it, rather than -1.

(*) (but of course I'm not against anyone wasting their time if they want to :-))

Regards

Antoine.