[Python-Dev] PEP 389: argparse - new command line parsing module

m h sesquile at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 20:26:46 CEST 2009

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 9:37 AM, Steven Bethard
<steven.bethard at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 8:26 AM, Michael Foord
> <fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk> wrote:
>> m h wrote:
>>>
>>> Perhaps this is OT, but since command line parsing is part of
>>> configuration, I figure I'd throw it out there.  My scripts often have
>>> configuration that the command line can override and I loosely follow
>>> the example hierarchy[0] listed in The Art of Unix Programming.
>>>
>>> Some configuration I want in a config file (but I want to override
>>> from the command line) and sometimes it's very nice to use environment
>>> variables for configuration.  So I do something like this:
>>
>> Integration with command line options is an occasionally-requested feature
>> for ConfigObj. I've always said I would be open to patches...
>>
>> In other words, yes I think there is demand for it. Whether it belongs
>> *immediately* in the standard library is another matter, but if you wrote a
>> layer that unified ConfigParser and argparse I think you will find that
>> people use it.

Having it integrated with the option parser is ideal.  More people
will use it if it is in the stdlib.  Just like more people will use
argparse.

>> It is well outside the realm of this PEP however.
>
> What Michael said. ;-) If you'd like to provide a patch for argparse
> that provides such functionality, I'd be happy to review it.

Patch submitted [0].  Accidentally marked as "Defect" instead of enhancement.
Comments/critiques welcome.

0 - http://code.google.com/p/argparse/issues/detail?id=35&q=label%3AType-Defect

Cheers,

-matt