[Python-Dev] PEP 389: argparse - new command line parsing module

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Mon Sep 28 17:03:55 CEST 2009

Antoine Pitrou wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am neutral on the idea of adding argparse. However, I'm -1 on deprecating
> optparse. It is very widely used (tons of scripts use it), and ok for many uses;
> deprecating it is totally unhelpful and gratuitous.

You can add me to that camp as well:

+0 on adding argparse
-1 on deprecating wide-used modules such as getopt and optparse

Note that the last -1 only applies to the module APIs, not the
code in those modules.

If argparse provides an API compatibility layer for getopt and
optparse, the original code of getopt and optparse could go
without problem, IMHO, leaving only the mostly empty modules
together with compatibility layers.

OTOH, as discussed on the stdlib SIG list, those two modules
hardly ever require any maintenance, so keeping them as they
are is certainly an option as well.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Sep 28 2009)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/