[Python-Dev] PEP 3144 review.

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Mon Sep 28 08:51:03 CEST 2009

Martin v. Löwis <martin <at> v.loewis.de> writes:

> > Could you explain what benefit there is for allowing the user to create
> > network objects that don't represent networks? Is there a use-case
> > where these networks-that-aren't-networks are something other than a
> > typo? Under what circumstances would I want to specify a network as
> > 192.168.1.1/24 instead of 192.168.1.0/24?

[...]
> So Python code has to make the computation, and it seems most natural
> that the IP library is the piece of code that is able to compute a
> network out of that input.

The thing is, it doesn't create a network, it creates a hybrid "network plus
host" which retains knowledge about the original host (that is, 192.168.1.1
rather than simply 192.168.1.0, if you enter "192.168.1.1/24").

That's what the OP meant with "networks-that-aren't-networks", and that's what
people are objecting to.

Regards

Antoine.