[Python-Dev] PEP 389: argparse - new command line parsing module

Benjamin Peterson benjamin at python.org
Mon Sep 28 05:08:37 CEST 2009

2009/9/27 Steven Bethard <steven.bethard at gmail.com>:
> If you think getopt and optparse should stick around in 3.X, why is
> that? If you think there are things that getopt and optparse do better
> than argparse, could you please give some examples?

Transitioning to Python 3 is already a pain. bytes/str/unicode things
are going to be enough by themselves to drive people nuts. We don't
want to be forcing them to change APIs if optparse is already working
just fine for them. The job is the stdlib is not to force people to
use the "best" or "right" tools. Several years in the future I would
be more supportive of depreacting optparse, but more ways in which 2.x
and 3.x grow farther apart are not going to help jumping the great
version divide.

--
Regards,
Benjamin