[Python-Dev] PEP 389: argparse - new command line parsing module

Steven Bethard steven.bethard at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 05:18:17 CEST 2009

On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 8:08 PM, Benjamin Peterson <benjamin at python.org> wrote:
> 2009/9/27 Steven Bethard <steven.bethard at gmail.com>:
>> If you think getopt and optparse should stick around in 3.X, why is
>> that? If you think there are things that getopt and optparse do better
>> than argparse, could you please give some examples?
>
> Transitioning to Python 3 is already a pain. bytes/str/unicode things
> are going to be enough by themselves to drive people nuts. We don't
> want to be forcing them to change APIs if optparse is already working
> just fine for them. The job is the stdlib is not to force people to
> use the "best" or "right" tools. Several years in the future I would
> be more supportive of depreacting optparse, but more ways in which 2.x
> and 3.x grow farther apart are not going to help jumping the great
> version divide.

The first release where any real deprecation message would show up is
Python 3.4, more than 3 years away. If you think 3 years isn't long
enough for people to be over the Python 3 transition, let's stick in
another version in there and make it 4.5 years.

Steve
--
Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis?
Did Steve tell you that?