[Python-Dev] PEP 3144 review, and the inclusion process

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Mon Sep 28 02:32:49 CEST 2009

Peter Moody <peter <at> hda3.com> writes:

> I've never said otherwise. In fact, from an email last night, "If what
> the community requires is the library you've described, then ipaddr is
> not that library." The changes *you* require make ipaddr significantly
> less useful to me. I'm not prepared to make those changes in an
> attempt seek acceptance to the stdlib, especially if the stdlib is in
> such flux that I'll get to do this again in 18 months.

Well, then I'm not sure why we have a PEP at all.
If you don't want any significant changes and if you consider it to be *your*
library, ipaddr can remain a third-party package that interested people can
easily install (no pun ;-)) since AFAIK it's pure Python. It will also make
maintenance easier for you, while freeing us (core developers) from having to
bother about it in our daily development tasks.

At least that's what I would advocate right now - not sure about what others
think.

Regards

Antoine.