[Python-Dev] PEP 389: argparse - new command line parsing module

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 02:31:00 CEST 2009

On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 14:57:34 -0700, Brett Cannon wrote:

> I am going to state upfront that I am +1 for this and I encouraged
> Steven to submit this PEP on the stdlib-SIG. I still remember watching
> Steven's lightning talk at PyCon 2009 on argparse and being impressed by
> it (along with the rest of the audience which was obviously impressed as
> well).
>
> I think argprase is a good improvement over what we have now (getopt and
> optparse), it's stable, considered best-of-breed by the community for a
> while (as shown as how many times argparse has been suggestion for
> inclusion), and Steven is already a core committer so is already set to
> maintain the code. That covers the usual checklist we have for even
> looking at a PEP to add a module to the standard library.

FWIW, +1 from IPython: we ship a private copy of argparse as well (we use
it in several places but we want the basic ipython to be installable just
with the stdlib). Steven was gracious enough to relicense it as BSD at our
request:

http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/ipython-dev/2009-September/005537.html

so we could ship this copy without any GPL incompatibilities, but we'd
much rather rely on stdlib components.

Best,