[Python-Dev] IO module precisions and exception hierarchy

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 22:41:17 CEST 2009

Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> This deserves its own PEP IMO, although I'm not sure it would be accepted
> (ISTR the idea of a detailed IO exception hierarchy was already refused
> in the past).

Not as such - a big exception hierarchy rewrite was rejected, but
nothing specifically limited to the IO exceptions.

Michael's response cut to the heart of the issue though - a richer IO
exception hierarchy can make life interesting for compatibility purposes
(especially when creating "file-like" interfaces to non-file objects).

Cheers,
Nick.