[Python-Dev] Python 2.7 Mac universal builds seem broken on trunk

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Sun Sep 27 04:12:44 CEST 2009

In article <90A90A3C-E037-4FCA-95D2-A46A5C6DD60A at barrys-emacs.org>,
 Barry Scott <barry at barrys-emacs.org> wrote:
> I'm working with http://svn.python.org/projects/python/trunk on Mac OS
> X 10.6.1
> using Apples xcode gcc 4.2.1.
>
> When I run the following commands:
>
> 	./configure --enable-framework --with-universal-archs=32-bit | tee
> build.config.log
> 	make clean all | tee build.make.log
>
> I end up with a x86_64 Python image.
>
> No matter what I use for archs its always the same.
>
> I would expect to see -arch arg to GCC but it is not there.
>
> 	export CFLAG="-arch i386"
>
> did not work either.
>
> Am I doing something wrong or is this broken on trunk?

You need to add the enable-universalsdk parameter to configure:

  ... --enable-universalsdk=/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk

Be aware, though, that universal build support on 10.6 is a bit of a
work in progress as there are still some interesting unexplained
universal build issues when building on Snow Leopard (see, for instance,
the comments in http://bugs.python.org/issue6957).  At the moment, the
focus is on getting 2.6.3 out the door and the standard installer for
that will be built on 10.5.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org