[Python-Dev] thinking about 2.7 / buildbots / testing

C. Titus Brown ctb at msu.edu
Thu Sep 24 06:40:27 CEST 2009

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 12:23:31AM -0400, David Lyon wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 15:13:55 -0000, exarkun at twistedmatrix.com wrote:
>
> > I would also personally recommend that this person first (well, after
> > tracking down all the slave operators and convincing them to bring their
> > slaves back online) acquire shell access to all of the slave machines so
> > that the owners of the slave hosts themselves no longer need to be the
> > gating factor for most issues.
>
> Depends on where the machines are. There are good tools do check all
> automatically. Nagios is one.
>
> Anyway, this would suite my work schedule for the next 12 months.
>
> Do we already have the machines? or do they need to be acquired?

Hi David,

as Brett leaked, I am developing software towards making this buildbot
dilemma easier to deal with.  It's not really ready for primetime yet;
I'll send you a link off-list.

I am also (physically) hosting Snakebite, which Trent Nelson will be
tackling over the next few months.

And, finally, I now have Windows VMs (XP, Vista, 7) and a Mac OS X box
that I can dedicate to Python purposes.  I even have a student that will
be monitoring those boxes.  I am happy to give you access to these
machines if you want to set up buildbot on them; buildbot is compatible
with my own endeavors, so that would actually help me out ;)

I will be buying more/better/bigger Linux hardware over the next few
months, too, and I am happy to slice that off to provide more VMs --
basically whatever x86-based platforms people think are needed.

cheers,
--titus
C. Titus Brown, ctb at msu.edu