[Python-Dev] altruism

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Wed Sep 23 19:57:40 CEST 2009

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 04:36, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> Brett Cannon <brett <at> python.org> writes:
>>
>> Trust me, if you are doing open source for
>> anything other than altruistic reasons you are bound to be
>> disappointed.
>
> I'm surprised by this statement but perhaps it's a matter of vocabulary.
> Having fun and doing things you like to do does not strike me as "altruistic".
> Being involved in a FOSS project is not the same as participating in a charity.
>
> See this quick presentation about motivation of FOSS developers (second slide
> says: "Altruism? Not really"):
> http://www.infonomics.nl/FLOSS/papers/20030619/index.htm
> The full study is at:
> http://www.infonomics.nl/FLOSS/report/index.htm
> ("Part IV: Survey of Developers")
>
> (but of course there's the question of whether "altruism" exists at large, or is
> a political and moral fiction)

Ignoring the temptation to pull out my philosophy degree and devolve
into a ridiculously involved conversation, I meant "altruism" in
regard to not expecting to get anything from others for what you do. I
do think you should only do open source work if you have fun and enjoy
it, but I also think you should not do it for anyone but yourself
unless you are drawing a paycheck.

-Brett