[Python-Dev] Distutils ML wrap-up: setup.cfg new format

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Wed Sep 23 19:08:31 CEST 2009

Tarek Ziadé wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 4:04 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:
>
>> I did offer a concrete criterion for an individual's participation in
>> a "internal consensus": that you expect that they will adopt the new
>> features of distutils as a foundation for their own distribution
>> systems, or at least not implement and promote an alternative.
>>
>> As for who needs to be included, if the author of setuptools isn't
>> part of the internal consensus (on that, I'm just guessing from the
>> fact that he went off to "start a new thread"), I think you should be
>> concerned.  He's already implemented and promoted an alternative in
>> the past, so he doesn't even have to do any implementation.  Just keep
>> on using and promoting his preferred tools and formats.
>>

> While it's great to have Philipp being part of our distutils design
> discussions,
> for his experience, I am not concerned of not having him in this "internal
> consensus" since Setuptools is not maintained anymore.
>
> He said some months ago, he would work on a brand new setuptools
> version with zero
> dependency to distutils. But it's still vaporware (from his own
> words), and the previous version is unmaintained for a year, so it was
> forked.
>
> The Distribute (setuptools fork), which is likely to be the first and
> only public packaging system
> on the top of distutils working under Python 3 (the trunk is
> py3k-ready and should be released
> in a few days), is pretty active, and none of his contributor raised
> against the proposal.
>
> But you are right about the need of making sure every package management
> project is involved. We should make sure that Enthought,
> which has its own package management system, is part of that consensus.

Note that Activestate also have a fledgling package management system
for Python (unreleased yet I *believe*) so it is probably worth reaching
out to them as well.

> Also, I am more concerned of not having enough end users involved in
> that process.
> End users would be: any python developer that needs
> to package his code, or any os packager that needs to package a python
> distribution
> for his system. But those are hard to get involved.

Perhaps post your summaries on your blog as well (which is aggregated on
Planet Python right?) - including a description of the problem it aims
to solve and how it will be used.

You'll *mostly* be reaching the same set of people, but at least it
spreads the net a bit wider.

Michael

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/blog