[Python-Dev] Distutils ML wrap-up: setup.cfg new format

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Wed Sep 23 08:42:36 CEST 2009

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 23:20, David Lyon <david.lyon at preisshare.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 22:39:04 -0700, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
>> I don't think anyone on python-dev thought that it was exclusively
> Tarek's
>> idea or necessarily even mostly his.
>
> Actually, he originally argued against it, but that is irrelevant.
>
> I'm happy that he's come around and embraced it. Perhaps a bit too
> much could be my issue.
>
>> If you want explicit credit, you can co-author a PEP or get thanked in
>> a checkin as you mentioned.
>
> Good idea.
>
> How can I get check-in privileges on distutils ? What is the process?

Contribute patches on the Python issue tracker for six months to a
year (depends on how much you contribute) and be generally liked by
other committers. Distutils is not separate from Python itself.

But notice I said being thanked in a checkin, not making a checkin yourself.

>> But honestly, from my observations of open
>> source, ideas are not what get you noticed, it's producing something
>> tangible like code.
>
> Sure.. you're 100% right. So I need to be able to work on code and
> be able to check it in. I would love that. How do I get that?

You are conflating contributing code and checking it in. You can do
the former without the latter.

>> Plus ideas and such pull from so many people on
>> mailing lists you can claim you came up with the initial idea, but I
>> am sure a ton of people provided feedback which makes ownership of any
>> idea practically moot.
>
> Claiming ownership? No No. Lets not go there.
>
> A worklist and checkin rights would completely suffice.

Talk to Tarek or look at bugs.python.org for a worklist; checkin
rights come MUCH later.

-Brett