[Python-Dev] Distutils ML wrap-up: setup.cfg new format

Sridhar Ratnakumar sridharr at activestate.com
Wed Sep 23 00:53:46 CEST 2009

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 15:48:08 -0700, Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk>
wrote:

> Since the language summit at PyCon 2009 various committers, including
> me, have been encouraging Tarek to act as distutils dictator to get
> things finished as we all know people are prone to bikeshedding that
> would kill any forward momentum we have towards improving the
> packaging situation.
>  ...except that this isn't bikeshedding. Use of that term just to stifle
> productive discussion is also rude.

As I see it, the choice of syntax *as such* is an issue of bikeshedding
except that the choice of one syntax over the another could make it
supportive to add an useful feature in setuptools to distutils. For
instance, this syntax which I proposed -
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2009-September/013289.html
- will make us think about adding install_requires/extra_requires to
distutils *in addition to* the conditional metadata .. rather than
inventing a new syntax to support only conditional metadata.

-srid