[Python-Dev] Distutils ML wrap-up: setup.cfg new format

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Tue Sep 22 16:02:56 CEST 2009

Tarek Ziadé wrote:
> The four sentences summary for people in a hurry:

If you're going to promise sentences, please deliver sentences...

>     Getting metadata of a distribution that is not.
>     installed means running its setup.py. This means.
>     downloading the whole archive, and running.
>     third party code on your system.

This is not a sentence, and I have no idea what you're trying to convey...

> A context dependant section is a section with a condition that is.
> used only if the execution environment meets its condition.
>
> Here's an example::
>
>     [setup]
>     name: Foo
>     version: 1.3
>
>     [setup:sys_platform == 'win32']
>     requires: pywin32
>     requires: bar > 1.0
>
>     [setup:os_machine == '64bits']
>     requires: some_package
>
>     [setup:python_version == '2.4' or python_version == '2.5']
>     requires: some_package

As was brought up on the distutils list, this seems unnecessarily
complicated.

Other, simpler, solutions were proposed:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2009-September/013173.html

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2009-September/013289.html

However, you pronounced yourself bdfl(!):

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2009-September/013318.html

...and decided to ignore them. Please don't do this over such an
important matter.

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk