[Python-Dev] please consider changing --enable-unicode default to ucs4

Zooko O'Whielacronx zookog at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 16:16:01 CEST 2009

I'm sorry, I should have mentioned that I did read those archives
before I posted my letter.  That discussion was all about whether UCS2
or UCS4 is better.  I consider that question to be mostly irrelevant
to this issue, which is about compatibility for people who don't
choose to configure that setting themselves.  Platforms or people who
prefer UCS2 will continue to use it as appropriate.  UCS4 is clearly
good enough for the vast majority of Linux users, and having fewer
mysterious segfaults and potential security vulnerabilities would be
an important improvement to the user experience of Python on Linux.

I should mention that the reason I'm spending time on this right now
is that it is currently blocking me from being able to distribute
binaries of Python packages which will work for all of my Linux users.

Regards,

Zooko