[Python-Dev] Fuzziness in io module specs - PEP update proposition

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sun Sep 20 15:08:07 CEST 2009

Hello,

> *Truncate and file pointer semantics*
[snip]

The major problem here is that you are changing the current semantics.
I don't think the argument you are making for it is strong enough to
counter-balance the backwards compatibility issue. The situation would be
different if 3.0 hadn't been released yet.

Besides, we already broke compatibility with 3.0/3.1, let's not give
users the impression that we don't care about compatibility anymore.

Regards

Antoine.