[Python-Dev] Misc/maintainers.rst

Fred Drake fdrake at acm.org
Thu Sep 17 20:19:03 CEST 2009

On Sep 17, 2009, at 1:56 PM, Brett Cannon wrote:
> dev.python.org would be nice to have, from which we can simply
> redirect www.python.org/dev/ to dev.python.org. www.python.org/dev/
> can then get cleaned up be made simpler to navigate and more obvious
> for how people can get started.

Many years ago, we decided to add docs.python.org with the "current"
version of the documentation, so people would be able to find the docs
more easily.  Since then, we've had problems with keeping
docs.python.org and www.python.org/doc/ in sync, and with different
styles being applied to the sites.

One of the reasons www.python.org/doc/ was considered less
discoverable was the about of only-sometimes-interesting information
there; docs.python.org contains only "current" docs (for some vague
notion of current and only, given that dev builds and both Python 2
and Python 3 versions).  Some claimed that having "docs" at the front
of the URL helped, though I don't recall why.

I don't know whether users consider the docs more discoverable than
they used to; if anyone can provide information about that (now sure
what indicator would make even sense), that might be informative.

The overload problem is one we *don't* have for developer
documentation; the difficulty is in discovering what exists at all.

+1 on moving the developer docs to subversion

+0 on exposing them online

-0 on adding another domain name

   -Fred

--