[Python-Dev] PEP 3144 review.

Eric Smith eric at trueblade.com
Thu Sep 17 15:25:45 CEST 2009

Nick Coghlan wrote:
> To be honest, given the indexing behaviour, I'm -1 on the idea of giving
> the network address or broadcast address attribute names *at all*. Consider:
>
>   network_address = my_net[0]
>   broadcast_address = my_net[-1]

My only concern with this is a possible performance issue with v6
networks. Would this be implemented such that [-1] doesn't need to
iterate through the (possibly large) address space of a v6 network?

I think it could (and would) be implemented efficiently, so I'm +1 on
not giving these names, but adding this "recipe" to the documentation
instead.

Eric.