[Python-Dev] PEP 3144 review.

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Thu Sep 17 04:30:28 CEST 2009

Andrew McNamara wrote:

> I also suggest the AddressWithMask classes not have any network/container
> behaviours for a similar reason. If the developer needs these, the
> .network attribute is only a lookup away.

Another way to approach this would be for the Address
object to potentially have a 'network' attribute
referencing a Network object.

Then there are only two classes, but three use cases
are covered:

1) a Network

2) a plain, network-agnostic Address with network == None

3) an Address with an attached Network

An Address could be constructed in three ways:

   Address(ip_number)

   Address(ip_number, network = <Network instance>)

   Address(ip_number, mask = <mask>)
     # constructs and attaches a suitably-masked Network instance

We could also have some_network[n] return an Address
referring back to the network object it was obtained
from.

--
Greg