[Python-Dev] PEP 3144 review.

Jake McGuire mcguire at google.com
Tue Sep 15 20:58:12 CEST 2009

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 11:44 AM, Jake McGuire <mcguire at google.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 11:36 AM, Peter Moody <peter at hda3.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 11:33 AM, Jake McGuire <mcguire at google.com>
>> wrote:

>> the

>> give
>> non-trivial

>> > Downloading and using are not the same thing.
>>
>> Correct, but there is a strong positive correlation between the two.
>> If you have a better method for determining what you would consider an
>> appropriate level of usage, I'm all ears.
>>

> Put something on the project page (or download page if possible) saying
> "ipaddr is being considered for inclusion in the Python standard library.
>  We want to make sure it meets your needs, but we need you to tell us.  If
> you use ipaddr and like it, please let us know on ip-addr-dev."
>
> I dunno, maybe it's too much work.  But no one else seems to have an
> opinion strong enough to share, at least not at this point.

To clarify: there will always be some group of people happy to tell you that
whatever you made is crap and that it should have been done differently.
 There may be many more people out there who think that what you did is
great.  But those people probably don't read python-dev so their voices
don't get heard when it comes to deciding what to do with PEP 3144.

The easiest way to get their voices heard is to ask them to speak up, and
the one place you know they visited was the ipaddr page on code.google.com,
so you may as well ask them there.

-jake