[Python-Dev] clarification on PEP 3124 status

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Sep 13 08:29:42 CEST 2009

> Could somebody please clarify the status of PEP 3124? At
> http://ftp.python.org/dev/peps/ , it is listed as "under
> consideration", but http://ftp.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3124/ says it
> has been deferred.

This isn't really contradictory. "under consideration" means "in
progress": it has neither been accepted or rejected.

If Phillip doesn't respond here, you may want to ask him directly.
My impression is that it is deferred because nobody is pursuing it
actively (including Phillip Eby). It's common for a PEP to be in that
state for several years, "deferred" then is an indication that readers
shouldn't expect a resolution in short term.

That said: my personal feeling is that this PEP is way too large, and
should be broken into seperate pieces of functionality that can be
considered independently. There is a lot of stuff in it that isn't
strictly necessary to provide the feature listed in the rationale.

Regards,
Martin