[Python-Dev] About Python

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Sat Sep 12 11:51:43 CEST 2009

Kalite LAB. wrote:
> Dear  authorized,
> I have a question about Python programming language can help you glad
> you do. User as a decimal point "." Instead of character "," we can
> use that character? For example, 10.7 instead of 10,7

This mailing list is for the development of Python, not development with
Python. For general questions about how to do things the python-list
(comp.lang.python.newsgroup) and python-tutor-list are appropriate
places to ask.

That aside I *think* that Python is always culture invariant in its
syntax (you always use the '.' point for floating point literals in
source code) and *also* for how the float type converts strings to
numbers (float('10.7') and not float('10,7')).

I assume there is a way of turning strings to floats honoring the
locale, but off the top of my head I don't know what it is.

All the best,

Michael Foord

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/