[Python-Dev] hgeol extension

Martin Geisler mg at lazybytes.net
Sun Sep 6 01:57:13 CEST 2009

"Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> writes:

>> Can anyone (re-) post the specification of the proposed extension, to
>> the level that it is currently defined?
>
> For reference, here are the original specification, mine and Martin
> Geisler's:
>
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2009-August/090984.html
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2009-August/091453.html
>
> Here is my attempt at summarizing it:
>
> - name of versioned configuration file (in root of tree): .hgeol
> - names of conversion modes: native, LF, CRLF
> In the configuration file, there is a section [patterns] which
> maps file name patterns to conversion modes, e.g.
>
> [patterns]
> **.txt = native
> **.py = native
> **.dsp = CRLF
> **.bat = CRLF
> Tools/bgen/README = native
> Lib/email/test/data/msg_26.txt = CRLF
>
> - Martin Geisler also proposes that there is a section
> [repository]
> native = <conversionmode>
> I personally feel YAGNI; it should only support LF (adding such
> a feature later may be considered)

I don't think it's a good idea to store everything in LF in the
repository. Unlike Subversion, you cannot expect all interactions to
take place through the "eol-filter" we're implementing. Letting people
checkout a useful unfiltered clone would be possible if we know the
repository native format and convert back to that.

Anyway, it's a minor detail. More importantly, I've posted a simple,
rough extension that does this here:

  http://markmail.org/message/yj4so736t4cfdulv

I figured it would be better to discuss the design and implementation on
mercurial-devel since there are more Mercurial hackers there. I've CC'ed
a bunch of people from this thread to "seed" the discussion -- the rest
of you on python-devel are hereby invited to join :-)